Stay sane with the kids, family, dogs, and all the things shoved together under one roof? Yep, it is possible! Last week was our first “real” week at home. We shared some great resources on setting up your homeschool, free virtual classes and activities, and some fun ideas for nature studies.
This week is all about easing into your new rhythm. Schools have set up learning systems for the kids and hopefully, they are integrating well into your home life. You have probably been reminded of how adaptable kids are. They take to new routines pretty well – especially when it means more screen time!
Houston and the whole world are really bringing their virtual A-game! Below are some great activities you can participate in this week “locally” and abroad. Have a great week, Houston!
How is Homeschooling Going?
Hopefully, you are embracing this new opportunity to spend time with your kiddos as unexpected homeschoolers! We have a full post on how to stay sane while homeschooling through the corona quarantine – Homeschooling: How to be Happy, Productive, and Fun.
- Homeschool Directory Resources
- Free High-Quality Online Resources for Homeschoolers
- The Best Online Schools for Your Home Learner
Virtual Classes & Activities
Art/ Crafts/ Drawing
- Art Together with Main Street Theater
- Debbie Ohi (author/ Illutrator) will be posting a daily creative challenge (possibly a video) on Twitter – find it at #KidsDailyDebbieOhi
- DJ Corchin (Children’s Book Author & Illustrator) live every day at 10:30 am CST
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems, daily on weekdays 1 pm EST
- Mark Kistler – Daily live drawing at noon CST
- Chef Massimo Bottura of Osteria Grancescana is hosting Kitchen Quarantine on Instagram TV – he usually airs at 8pm CST
- Adam Savage’s Live Builds – I can’t find a live schedule for this one but it is really cool to watch an experienced scientist just work. The replays are just as valuable.
- ‘At Home with the Bay’ – weekly video series hosted by the Galveston Bay Foundation
- Animals – many of these are live cams, not live classes. But, still very cool!
- Brave Wilderness – “Ask A Biologist” is a classroom-style Livestream on Thursdays at noon (CST) – though, he snuck one in last Monday and announced it the day before on his Facebook feed
- Houston Zoo – Monday through Friday at 11 am CST live with the keepers
- Houston Museum of Natural Science is posting frequent video HMNS @ Home
- Lone Star Flight Museum Virtual Visits on Instagram or Facebook
- Mark Rober will be going live M-W-F at 3 p.m. CST to share science fun
- New England Aquarium – daily presentations at 11 am EST
- Scouts: There are a lot of virtual merit badges being offered. Ask your troop for suggestions. And, the younger ones can work on anything with their families. Check out their scout book. There are a lot of ideas.
Storytime & Books
- Harris County Public Library is sharing storytime and crafts daily
- Josh Gad (a.k.a. Olaf) will read stories at 7 pm EST
- Kate DiCamillo (children’s author) – weekly posts with different writing prompts.
- Oliver Jeffers will read stories live 2 pm EST
- Save With Stories – Jennifer Garner and Amy Adams are hosting celebs to read books to kids on Instagram
- 25+ Fitness Studios and Gyms Offering Live-Stream Workouts
- Mindfulness Class for Kids – Tu-W-Th at 1 pm EDT
- P.E. With Joe – daily, live at 9 am in the UK
- Levy Park On Demand – every day at 10 am
We are taking the calendar one week at a time right now. Everything is so uncertain!
What are you doing/ tuning into this week in quarantine?