Party Like You Have the Day Off!
As I’ve matured I am really coming to appreciate holidays like Labor Day.
You know, the fun ones?
I like that it’s all-inclusive, involves food, no presents, and you can enjoy some nice sales without family/patriotic/whatever guilt. So let’s get ready to kick back, relax, and have an awesome day!
When is it?
Monday, September 3th, 2018 (probably your kids’ first school holiday) –
It’s always the first Monday in September
Why is it?
Since 1894 it has been a nationally recognized holiday to honor
American workers and their achievements.
Things to Do:
Attend/ Host a Party
The most popular past time, for this holiday, is not laboring and this is usually done in the form of the casual gathering and/or hitting some sales (it’s a great time to buy appliances). If you are lucky enough to be invited to a party you get to do a whole lot less laboring but if you enjoy that sort of thing here are some fun ideas for hosting your own party:
Easy Decorating Ideas
Labor Day Menu
- Appetizers: Strawberry Caprese Salad
- Main Course: Sriracha Shrimp Skewers
- Main Course: Beer and Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sliders
- On the Side: Grilled Parmesan Garlic & Basil Corn on the Cobb
- On the Side: Mac and Cheese Bites
- Dessert: Fresh Berry Tart With Sweet Mascarpone Filling
- Dessert: Red, White, and Blue Brownie Pizza
- Drinks: Water, Tea, Lemonade, and Red, White, and Blue Sangria
Activities & Games
- Swimming or Slip and Slides/ Sprinklers
- Straw Fireworks
- Confetti Launchers
- Movie on the Lawn
- Giant Bubbles/ Water Balloons
For more ideas check out the GHM CELEBRATE: Labor Day! board on Pinterest!
Activities Around Houston – September 3, 2018
If you are wanting to get “out” there are some great options around town.
- Astros vs. Minnesota Twins (Downtown, Minute Maid)
- Fall/Winter Nature Programs: Labor Day Scavenger Hunt – (NE Houston, Lake Houston Wilderness Park)
- Journey & Def Leppard (Downtown, Toyota Center)
- Labor Day in The Woodlands! – FREE
- Sand Castle Contest (Galveston, Galveston Island SP)
Have a great weekend!