GHM Rating: 4 of 5 stars
In ‘How to be Married: What I Learned from Real Women on Five Continents about Surviving My First (Really Hard) Year of Marriage‘ Jo Piazza looks into marriages around the world whole embarking on her own adventure – becoming a newlywed.
She manages to tell her own story while gleaning information from the men and women she met. From a jungle sweat lodge to to the top of a mountain if anyone can say they’ve gone to the ends of the Earth for marriage it is she – and we, thankfully, got to tag along for the journey!
A non-fiction pick that reads like a heart to heart with a dear friend. I highly recommend it!
5 Things to Know About Jo Piazza and How to Be Married
- After her study of marriages around the world, she finds “The most successful marriages…and some of the highest satisfaction rates for marriage are with arranged marriage, and there’s a reason for that. The reason is that when your family is arranging a marriage, they are looking out for those things instead of just passion. They’re looking out for the things that make a marriage last in the long term.” (source)
- While writing she listens to a mixture of sixties French pop with eighties American hair bands. (source)
- As a professional traveler, it is surprising to know Jo did not even have a passport until she went to college. (source)
- Fun Fact: Her favorite celebrity is Meryl Streep. “I’m obsessed with every movie she has ever done and she once signed a note for my mom.” (source)
- At one of her book readings she invited several of her single exes & husband to ask any three-questions they wished. (source)
Return to the Summer 2018 Picks,
or join our new GHM Book Club Discussion Group